The Bear Bucks account is an account accessed through the WashU ID Card or other assigned official university card. It is administered by Washington University Campus Card Services. Terms are subject to change.

Bear Bucks Terms & Conditions

Maintenance of account

  • Once an account is established, a patron will continue to have an account as long as the patron remains a student or is employed by the university.
  • Funds placed on an account roll over from semester to semester and year to year.
  • No minimum balance is required to maintain an account.
  • A maximum of $2,000 is allowed on an account at any given time.

Use of the account

  • Funds placed in the Bear Bucks account may be used for laundry, vending purchases at selected locations, at most University Libraries print stations and printing in school computing labs.
  • On-campus businesses
  • WashU-operated dining locations also accept Bear Bucks. For a complete list visit Bear Bucks.
  • Undergraduate students may use their Bear Bucks to make purchases from Dining Services only when their undergraduate meal plan has been exhausted.
  • Undergraduate meal plan points may not be transferred to the Bear Bucks account.
  • Bear Bucks may not be used to purchase prepaid credit at any location. Bear Bucks may not be used to purchase any type of gift card at Follett Bookstores.

Daily spending limits

  • $30 for laundry and vending
  • $50 for the Office for International Students and Scholars and printing in University Libraries and school computing labs
  • $100 for all dining locations and all Congress of the South 40 activities
  • $250 for Paws & Go Market, Ibby’s, all Student Union businesses
  • $300 for Bear Necessities, Edison Theatre, and the 560 Music Center
  • $800 for Wash-U-Wash
  • $2,000 for the Danforth Campus Bookstore

Closing the account

Bear Bucks are non-transferable and non-refundable. 

Students: Graduation or other permanent separation

When a student graduates or permanently separates from the university, the account will be closed, and any remaining balance will be forfeited.

Students: Temporary separation

When a student studies abroad, the account remains open.

Employees: Retirement, termination, or voluntary separation

If an employee retires, is terminated, or voluntarily separates from the university, the remaining balance in the account will be forfeited.

Extension of student account beyond graduation or separation

An extension of a student account beyond enrollment may be requested for students who are transitioning from an undergraduate to a graduate program, stepping out for a semester, completing a postgraduate course, or are involved in an unpaid on-campus internship. Notice must be submitted to Campus Card Services via email to prior to the end of the semester or departure from campus.

Account deactivation/reactivation

The Bear Bucks account may be deactivated or reactivated at any time through WebSTAC (for students) or here(for employees). The account may also be deactivated by calling 314-935-8800 during Campus Card Services business hours. The university may, at its discretion, deactivate a Bear Bucks account if the university determines that the account holder has violated these Terms & Conditions or has otherwise abused the Bear Bucks program.