The Washington University in St. Louis ID card displays the cardholder’s name and ID number, color photograph, academic division code (for students), and the date of issue. The ID card provides current students with restricted access to campus buildings, labs, housing, recreation facilities, and the WashU shuttles. Students may also use their ID cards for library privileges, meal plans, and admission to student activities.
Students at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis are issued identification cards through the Office of the Registrar at the School of Medicine.
Student ID cards issued from either campus are valid throughout the university, so multiple cards are not needed. Please note that some areas of the Medical Campus require that a WUSM ID card be physically displayed.
When to Carry the ID Card
All WashU students should carry their student ID cards whenever they are on campus, using a WashU shuttle, or using a Metro U-Pass. During periods of heightened security, campus access may be limited to faculty, staff, and students with a current WashU ID card.
Only current students may receive replacement student ID cards.
Damaged and Outdated Cards
Students may replace damaged ID cards and cards showing outdated information at Campus Card Services. No fee is charged if a current card is exchanged for the new card.
For a name change or correction, documentation of the student’s legal name is required (in the form of a driver’s license, passport, marriage license, etc.). Please contact the Office of the University Registrar to obtain a name change or correction.
Lost and Stolen Cards
Lost and stolen student ID cards on the Danforth Campus can be replaced at Campus Card Services. Students must present some other form of positive identification (photo ID) to replace lost and stolen cards. There is a $25 charge to replace lost and stolen cards.
Card Access and Campus Card Services
For difficulty with door access or card functions, contact the office associated with the issue you are experiencing or click on the link provided.
- After-hours access to specific classroom buildings and laboratory facilities: Contact the department administrator for that building.
- Housing access: Contact the Residential Life Center in South 40 House or at 314-935-5050, the Village Office in Village House or at 314-935-8828, or your RA.
- Meal plan: Deactivate, add points, and check balances online at WebSTAC, in person at the Residential Life Center in South 40 House, at Dining Services on the South 40, or by calling 314-935-7098.
- Campus card program (laundry/vending/Bear Bucks): Visit us in the Women’s Building, Suite 002, or call 314-935-8800.
- University Libraries: Contact the help desk at the relevant library.
- Athletic Complex: Contact Andrew Koch at the Athletic Complex by calling 314-935-4703.
- School of Medicine: Call Protective Services at 314-362-4813 or 314-362-HELP.
- Stolen card: Contact the University Police Department at 314-935-5555.
Multiple WashU Relationships
Individuals who have multiple relationships with WashU (e.g., staff and student) will receive only one WashU ID card that reflects the primary relationship to the university. Full-time faculty and staff who take classes at WashU will not be issued student ID cards. Full-time students who work part-time at WashU will not be issued staff ID cards.
WashU encourages new students to obtain an ID card upon matriculation. An initial student ID card is provided at no cost. Incoming students are typically notified during the summer that they may send a photo in advance so that their student ID cards are ready when they arrive on campus for Bear Beginnings.