The temporary department card is created to aide departments in granting temporary access to spaces within the department’s jurisdiction.
The use of the temporary department card is to provide a means of door access to individuals who do not regularly require such access and, therefore, should not have the access programmed onto his/her own WUSTL Photo ID card.
This Temporary Department Card Policy applies to all departments within Washington University which are located on the Danforth campus or any Danforth satellite buildings and have requested a temporary department card(s). Specifically, it includes the following individuals:
- Department Building Liaison – A designated employee within each department who has authorization to distribute temporary department cards.
- Temporary User – A person who requires temporary access to a space on the Washington University Danforth campus or satellite campuses.
- Prior to being granted a temporary department card, each department must complete a Temporary Department Card Request Form.
- Once authorization has been granted, the department will be provided with an official temporary department card created by Campus Card Services. If the department requests more than one card, the request will be handled on a case-by-case basis. The card will be picked up by the authorized department in such a manner as to ensure it is received only by the authorized department.
- The department must record the distribution of the temporary department card by entering information in the Temporary Department Card Record, a document distributed by and shared with Campus Card Services.
- Should a temporary department card be misplaced, lost, or stolen it is critical that the department contact Campus Card Services or WUPD to immediately disable the card.
Temporary Department Card Request Form must be completed.
The Temporary Department Card Request Form (PDF) is to be completed and provided to Campus Card Services by the department in order to obtain a card. The department must provide the following information:
- Department Name and Billing Code
- Department Building Liaison Name
- Department Building Liaison Telephone Number
- Campus Building/Access Needed
- Department Building Liaison Signature
- Expiration Date
Department building liaison must obtain card from Campus Card Services.
Campus Card Services will create and issue the card to the department building liaison upon receiving the completed Temporary Department Card Request Form:
- The cost of a temporary department card is $10 per card.
- The card will be limited to two years from the date of issue before it will have to be re-issued.
- The department building liaison is responsible for ensuring temporary user adheres to card policies created by the department.
Department building liaison must verify temporary user identity.
Prior to the issuance of a temporary department card, department building liaisons must identify temporary users via external identity verification methods, including identification documents with the following information:
- Full name
Department building liaison must enter information in Temporary Department Card Record.
Campus Card Services will e-mail the Temporary Department Card Record spreadsheet to the department building liaison after the card has been issued to the department. The spreadsheet is a Google Doc which can be edited online and shared by multiple users in real-time. In order to track the distribution of temporary department cards, the department building liaison must input the following information in the Temporary Department Card Record:
- Check out date of card
- Temporary user name
- Temporary user email
- Temporary user phone number
- Return date of card
Department building liaison must email the Access Control and Electronic Security Office to request additional access.
If additional access needs to be placed on card, the department building liaison must make the request, in writing, to the Access Control and Electronic Security Office at email@example.com.
Department building liaison must contact Campus Card Services to disable card.
In the instance that a temporary department card is no longer needed it must be disabled to prevent its use. The department building liaison must immediately contact Campus Card Services or WUPD to disable the card. If any issues arise from failing to promptly notify Campus Card Services or WUPD of a card that should be disabled, the department will be liable.
Routine audits of department temporary cards will be done to ensure each department is abiding by these policies and procedures. Violation of any of the constraints of these policies or procedures will be considered a security breach, and the department’s privileges to be revoked.